Sunday, November 9, 2014

Mint Chocolate Cookie Dough Brownies




I'm getting ready for the holidays and trying out a few new recipes. I'm also 19 weeks pregnant soooo yeah...I'm making a bunch of stuff for my cravings. No, I don't over indulge. I'll probably eat about two of these brownies, but they satisfied my craving for chocolate mint :) I made these on a Saturday night and then tried them out on Sunday morning (haha...great breakfast). They needed time to set in the fridge. So next time, I'll make them in the afternoon if I want them that night. 

Hope you enjoy!




 
~ Ingredients ~

Recipe for an 9x9 inch pan Makes about 25 pieces (5 rows by 5 rows).

For the Brownies:

  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 cup really hot water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp flour

For the Cookie Dough:

  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp mint extract (leave out if you don't want the mint flavor)
  • 5 drops green food coloring (can be omitted) 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tbsp milk
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips (or any chips/nuts. I used a holiday mint chocolate chip mix)

For the Chocolate Ganache:

  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil


~Directions~

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the pan. If you want them to come out easier, I would put some tin foil down then grease that.

Whisk together the cocoa and baking soda.


Whisk in half of the butter and the water. 





















One at a time, whisk in the sugar, egg, then vanilla. (I forgot to do one at a time and it turned out fine).


The mixture should have a thin, runny constancy. 





















Whisk in the rest of the butter and the salt.




















Switch from the whisk to a folk and mix in the flour.


Pour into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Watch to make sure they don't burn. Once they are done, let them cool all the way before adding the cookie dough mixture.





















~Directions~

For the Cookie Dough:

Cream together the butter and sugars.



Next, mix in the salt, vanilla, milk, and the mint extract and food coloring if you want to use them. If not, leave those two out.
 
Next, mix in the flour. The consistency will be runnier than normal cookie dough. Don't worry though. It will harden in the fridge.

Lastly, add in the chips or whatever else you want to add in.



















I didn't take pictures of putting the bars together. But it's very simple.

Once the brownies are "cooled" or room temperature, spread the cookie dough over the top.

If you want to add the ganache spread, simply melt the chocolate into the oil. I used the microwave in 20 second increments until I could thoroughly mix it with a whisk. I then spread it over the top.

Put the bars in the fridge for an hour or so until they are set and cool.

Be careful when taking them out of the pan...they may need a little elbow grease and patience.

Enjoy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment