Sunday, December 15, 2013

Italian Wedding Cookies

So every year when I was growing up, my little Italian great grandmother would make a bunch of different cookies for Christmas. Then she would separate them into boxes and give one to each household in our family. My absolute favorite ones were the Italian wedding cookies. And they are one of my favorite memories from being little.

Now these cookies go by many names; Russian Teacakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Almond Butter Cookies, etc. But I always refer to them as Italian Wedding Cookies. They are not soft and chewy. They are a drier cookie that doesn't expand much when cooking. This is awesome if you want to make a bunch in a short period of time (you fit more on the pan). I also make them smaller so that I can just pop them in my mouth.








~ Ingredients ~
  • 1 1/2 cups softened butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (plus extra for rolling the cookies in)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 cups sifted flour
  • 2 1/2 tbsp water
  • 1 1/2 chopped walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, almonds (your choice)
  • 1 tbsp almond or vanilla extract (I used almond this time)

~ Directions ~

With a spoon, mix the butter and powdered sugar.


Add the water, nuts, extract, salt, and mix everything well. The water will take a little work to mix in properly.

Mix in the flour a bit at a time. The dough will seem stiffer and a bit crumbly.


Roll the dough into balls. I make mine about 1.5 tablespoons in size. They don't get bigger when they cook so you can put them pretty close together.


Bake for 10-13 minutes at 400 degrees (204 C). Watch them. The cookies won't really change color but the bottom will start getting golden brown. 

After you take them out of the oven, roll them in powdered sugar. Once they cool you can roll them again for better coverage.
Makes about 40-60 depending on size. 

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment