Monday, December 16, 2013

Creamy Tomato & Spinach Pasta

I tried this pasta for the the first time tonight. Man oh man...do I pick some really awesome recipes :) I found it on Pinterest but tweaked it a big for my own tastes. 

I ended up serving it with my pesto chicken that I had in the freezer. BUT I could also add some cubed chicken next time if I just wanted a one-pot meal. 

Hope you all enjoy! Oh...my husband loved it too. Bonus!



Serves 4-6



~ Ingredients ~

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 gloves of garlic
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 - 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 8 oz your choice pasta
  • 8 oz fresh spinach
  • salt and pepper to taste

~ Directions ~

In a large pot of boiling water, cook your pasta, then drain and set aside.

While your pasta is cooking, dice your onion and chop up the garlic. Saute these in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Cook until the onion is soft and transparent.



Next add in the diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and the salt and pepper. Stir to combine and let simmer for about 5 minutes.



Add the tomato paste with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to the sauce mix. Stir so that it is well blended.



Reduce heat to a simmer and add the Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese. Let this simmer until the cheese is melted or well blended in the sauce.



Test the sauce and adjust any seasoning you'd like. I added a touch more salt and pepper.

Add the spinach and "fold" it into the sauce. Cover and let the sauce simmer for a few minutes until the spinach is wilted.



Once complete, add the pasta into the skillet (hence why you need a large skillet) and mix until everything is well coated in sauce.



Serve while hot and enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment